We are the people behind the leading Spanish learning websites SpanishDict and Fluencia, which collectively help more than 100 million people each year. Just over two years ago, we launched one of our most ambitious projects yet: a bilingual dictionary built from the ground up, with every detail in the design and content catered to our users. Since we started in 2014, we’ve published 25,000 entries based on our users’ most popular searches. But we’re only getting started.
Within the next year, we are going to exponentially accelerate the rate at which we add entries to our dictionary. To do that, we need to expand our team with dictionary authors who are masters in their field, and who are as passionate and driven about language as we are. That’s where you come in. As a dictionary author, the entries you write would be accessed and used by millions of users worldwide every month.
That's right. Millions. We think it's pretty awesome, too.
- Are fully bilingual in Spanish and English. You know which preposition sounds weird in both languages, and you can tell us why. You are fully comfortable writing and speaking with native-level proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Are willing to give and receive feedback. We pride ourselves on a highly collaborative team that evolves through constant feedback. You must be comfortable with giving and receiving this feedback daily.
- Are a rigorous researcher. You don’t need to know all the words, just how to research them. Only the most meticulous researchers will thrive on our team.
- Know how to follow a style guide. You are a stickler for rules. Our style guide is our bible, and we hope it will be yours.
- Can work from anywhere in the world. Since every element of our workflow is in the cloud, you can work for us from Spain, or Thailand, or Argentina, or France, or all of them. We don’t mind, as long as you have a suitable internet connection and computer and are able to work our minimum time commitment.
- Have built an innovative remote working environment that allows us to be autonomous, yet also work collaboratively. We use Slack for almost all of our communication and Toggl for all of our time-keeping. We guarantee that you’ve never had a contracting experience like this one before.
- Custom created our own dictionary authoring tools, which we are continuously improving to be most efficient for our team.
- Offer competitive pay and flexible hours. We require a minimum of 20 hours of work a week. The rest is up to you. Want to work 30 hours one week and 25 the next? Be our guest. Sleep all day and work all night? You do you, night owl.
How to apply
The process is simple and straightforward. Fill out the information in this job listing and submit. Once you've submitted your application, we'll reach out to you with a link to our “Authoring Fundamentals Test”. You can only take the test once.
Should you pass, we will reach out to you to complete an authoring exercise and to schedule an interview. Thank you and ¡buena suerte!